Saturday, December 13, 2008

Six Years, eh? That's a long time...

What have you learned?

-The ergonomically ideal rise-run ratio for a staircase is 1:1.5.
And no one cares.

-Alliteration almost always annoys everyone.
And I don't care.

-There are goals and there are distractions.
And the distractions are so damn delicious.

-There are some people who are completely comfortable with being naked in public.
And some smaller set of people who are comfortable with being simultaneously naked and sober in public.

-There are at least fifteen ways to obscure the meaning of a sentence.
But only one ever looks right.

-"Byzantine" means complex and intricate.
Oddly enough, some of the words you learn in college describe college better than they describe whatever context you learn them in. (Art in this case)

-"Synecdoche" means a part can be used to refer to the whole it comprises and vice versa.
And is also part of the pretense for a movie by Charlie Kaufman

-There are goals and there are distractions.
And the distractions are so damn delicious.

-Whether a president is a jack-ass or a bad ass is roughly dependent on geography.
As are many other things.

-I like the word "manifold." I like it so much that I had to edit the above tabulation several times because I kept typing [something else that used the word "manifold" but to type it here would be cheating.]
I think I like... that word... because I watched a lot of Star Trek.

-Mistakes were made but, if I had the chance, I'd make them again.
Ideally, with notes.

-The best ideas come at the worst times.
Like when I am trying to go to sleep, in the shower, or driving my big sexy truck. (I still don't have a tape recorder. (You know, it is the gift-giving season.))

-If you keep throwing emotionally charged-arguments at a wall, some of them are bound to stick.
And then the wall is transmogrified into a parrot.

-Everything is such that it stands in the "like" relationship to someone, but nothing is such that it stands in the "like" relationship to everyone.
And no character map is such that you won't find yourself missing your Mac.

-Death is the absence of presence, but absence is the presence of distance.
Faith and Quantum Physics (dare I say "or Faith in Quantum Physics?") have tidy solutions for this apparent contradiction.

2 comments:

Kara Spaulding said...

What is the difference between "synecdoche" and "metonymy"?

"Mistakes were made but, if I had the chance, I'd make them again. Ideally, with notes." Can I steal this for my headstone?

Why a parrot? Because they (potentially) talk back?

Maybe I will take a Quantum Physics class at some point in the future. (I am intrigued by tidy solutions.)

. . .

Congratulations, Elliot. :)

misanthropic bastard said...

Top-down: Frequency, I think. "Wall Street had a good day" is metonymy. (Metonymic?) "Hands Christian Anderson was a perv" is synecdochical, puntastic, and possibly false.

Yes. I won't even demand a by-line. I will only request you omit the last comma. I hate that comma.

Because when parrots talk back, they say what you say and without understanding what you mean.

Me too. I'm reader "Observer Effect" so I can pretend I took a few physics classes.

---

Thank, Kara.